Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Keith Jarrett

The Köln Concert             Image via Wikipedia

 

















             Jazz is like dreams.  The improvisations may try to be duplicated but never quite stay the same.  Like a recurring jazz song recurring dreams may surprise us with unexpected new elements appearing and familiar sounds bending into something that we vaguely recall from another time, another place, another dream.  A dream comes in themes and variations.  The song may be new or old, but it's a song that we can claim with our own interpretation.

        "J" is for jazz.   "J" is for Jarrett--Keith Jarrett, long one of the kings of jazz.  It's the kind of music that you can listen to and seem to remember even though you've never heard it before.  Listen to Jarrett's "Koln Concert" album late one night when you're alone.  It's like an old friend has dropped in to visit until the wee hours talking about old times and warm feelings.

         Keith Jarrett.  A bit of classical, folk, and pop jazzed up just right to make a dream music experience.




Enhanced by Zemanta

11 comments:

  1. Great post Lee, anything to do with music is fine by me.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, I love hearing about new music I should try. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post, Lee. Good and mellow like jazz.

    Shelly
    Doing A to Z http://secondhandshoesnovel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't heard of him, but its awesome! Thanks for sharing.

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My father was big into Jazz. I regret that I didn't find an appreciation for it until long after he passed.

    =]V[=
    The Brew Newb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to all for the comments.

    Matt-- I just realized that I'm old enough to be your father. I have a son who was born in 1977.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice and mellow! A dreamy delight to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's a great analogy. keith always sounds like he's dreaming in his improvisations, in the effortless way one motif seamlessly joins in to another.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paula -- Isn't it though.

    Dominic -- Jazz can be so incredible like that. It's like stream of consciousness in music.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also chose jazz for my J this year. Keith Jarrett is amazing. I had a chance to hear him at the Kimmel Center in Philly a couple years ago, and it was a mesmerizing performance, which made a large concert hall seem intimate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Margaret -- You were fortunate to be able to experience Jarrett's music live. I've only seen him on video. He is an amazing talent.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your comments or to just know that you were here. Please let me know what you think. And if you'd be so kind, please click on the Friend Connect button. It's nice to be joined on my dream journey with others who want to explore the mysterious world of the subconscious mind.
Sorry, due to too much spam I no longer allow anonymous comments on this site. If you want to comment and aren't registered yet then please sign up. It's not all that difficult and I'd really like to hear what you have to say. Comment away!

The Dreamer