Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Losing (Elements of Dreams) #AtoZChallenge


       You may have heard of dreams that help someone find an item they've lost in waking life.  In the dream a place is identified where the lost item is and then after awakening you look and there the lost item is!   This is probably a rare instance when this happens, but more commonly in our dreams we have lost something

       Dreams often can leave us feeling a sense of ambiguity or apprehension and in many cases these feelings in the dream are brought about by having lost something or unable to find some important item.  These dream feelings are most likely extensions of similar feelings in waking life.  Trying to find a missing item can lead to exasperation and even feelings of panic depending on the importance of a lost item.

        The emotions brought about by losing something and searching for it can be strong.   It's no surprise that the foggy state of the subconscious mind might evoke those same feelings as when something is lost.   The lost items in dreams might be the same items we lose in waking life--keys, glasses, wallet--or they might be odder types of items that often represent something else in our lives.

         There have even been situations in some of my dreams where I know I've lost something but I'm not sure what it is.  In this type of dream my frustration increases because I'm trying to figure out what exactly I have lost and this can carry into wakefulness as I feel that something is lost but I can't remember what it is that I have lost.

         What are some things that you have lost in your dreams?    Do you tend to misplace things in waking life?    Are the things you lose in dreams the same things that you lose during your waking hours?

8 comments:

  1. I have a tendency to be so organized that I can't find anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, let me wrap my head around that one. Sometimes my wife or someone has organized my stuff to where I couldn't find something in the place where I had known it was.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. I can't recall losing anything in a dream. I do misplace things in everyday life, but usually easy to find. I have dreamed answers to computer issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I wish I could dream solutions to computer issues. I have done that before but upon awakening I realized that the solutions made no sense.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. As far as I remember, I don't think I've lost anything important in my dreams. --I seldom remember dreams. -- In the last dream I remember, I ate a slice of fish, and it tasted good. -- Have you perceived tastes in your dreams?

    Letters from the Land of Cherry Blossoms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Romi, I'm pretty sure I have a post addressing the issue of taste. I often eat and taste things in my dreams and I wake up very hungry. I probably have those dreams for the same reason that I sometimes dream that I'm looking for a bathroom and then wake up to go to the bathroom.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this Arlee. I often dream of looking for lost things in my dreams, especially keys, and I'm late. Although I am not 100% certain of what this means in my real life I have a clue as 'keys' and 'losing' them is a strong metaphor made more so by their association. And yes I do misplace things in real life! Also my keys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dreams telling us exactly "where" something is .....
    We had a very "frightening" experience as a young kid....
    It was there just like the Dream said...
    ... or entering a house , where you have Never been and everything is just where it was in a Dream... Shocks some people when we would do that as a small (pre-teen) kid.. We knew where Everything was in their home and could even describe furniture in side without entering...
    ...But was rather common for me ......
    ... Good Sir we look forward to reading over your past posts at your Blogs.... You seem like a really Good person...( and there are very few these days)...
    Your newest "follower" Stacey E. Lemmon ("Dr. Theda")

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your comments or to just know that you were here. Please let me know what you think. And if you'd be so kind, please click on the Friend Connect button. It's nice to be joined on my dream journey with others who want to explore the mysterious world of the subconscious mind.
Sorry, due to too much spam I no longer allow anonymous comments on this site. If you want to comment and aren't registered yet then please sign up. It's not all that difficult and I'd really like to hear what you have to say. Comment away!

The Dreamer